Vedic astrology, also known as Jyotish, is an ancient Indian system of astrology that dates back thousands of years. In Vedic astrology, the planets play a crucial role in determining an individual’s fate and future. There are nine planets in Vedic astrology, including the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu (North Node of the Moon), and Ketu (South Node of the Moon).
Each planet is associated with certain personality traits, emotions, and experiences. For example, the Sun is associated with one’s ego, consciousness, and identity, while the Moon is associated with one’s emotions, mental state, and domestic life. Mars is associated with courage, strength, and ambition, while Mercury is associated with communication, intelligence, and commerce. Jupiter is associated with wisdom, knowledge, and religion, while Venus is associated with love, relationships, and material wealth. Saturn is associated with discipline, hard work, and karma, while Rahu and Ketu are associated with secrets, mystery, and transformation.
In Vedic astrology, the positions and movements of the planets at the time of an individual’s birth are used to create a birth chart, which provides insight into their life journey, strengths, weaknesses, and future potential. The positions of the planets are also used to make predictions about future events, such as marriages, career changes, and health issues.
Overall, the planets play a significant role in Vedic astrology and provide a wealth of information and guidance for individuals seeking to understand themselves and their life path.
Here is a table showing the astrological 9 planets, their symbol, zodiac sign , Hindu God, connection, and Vedic meaning of each planet:
|Planet||Symbol||Zodiac Sign||Hindu God||Connection||Vedic Meaning|
|Sun||☉||Leo||Surya||Life force, Self, Soul||Power, success, health, and vitality|
|Moon||☽||Cancer||Chandra||Emotions, intuition, the subconscious||Mind, emotions, mother, and home|
|Mars||♂||Aries, Scorpio||Mangal||Energy, action, courage, and sexuality||Courage, determination, and violence|
|Mercury||☿||Gemini, Virgo||Budha||Communication, intelligence, and commerce||Communication, intelligence, and adaptability|
|Jupiter||♃||Sagittarius||Guru||Expansion, abundance, wisdom, and growth||Wisdom, growth, abundance, and spirituality|
|Venus||♀||Taurus, Libra||Shukra||Love, beauty, and money||Love, beauty, and sensual pleasure|
|Saturn||♄||Capricorn, Aquarius||Shani||Limitation, restriction, and discipline||Discipline, limitations, and sorrow|
|Rahu||–||–||Rahu||Mystery, illusion, and karma||Mystery, obsession, and past life karma|
|Ketu||–||–||Ketu||Spirituality, detachment, and moksha||Spirituality, detachment, and liberation|
Note: It’s worth noting that the meanings associated with each planet can vary slightly depending on the individual’s birth chart and other astrological factors. In Vedic astrology, a person’s birth chart is considered to be a unique roadmap of their life, providing insights into their personality, strengths, weaknesses, and potential for growth and evolution.
Significance of planets in vedic astrology
In Vedic astrology, the effects of planets are determined by their position in the birth chart and their relationships with other planets. Each planet represents different aspects of life, such as wealth, career, relationships, health, and spirituality. Here is a brief overview of the effects of each planet:
- Sun: Represents power, authority, self-esteem, and leadership. A strong Sun in the birth chart indicates success and stability in life.
- Moon: Represents the mind, emotions, and intuition. A strong Moon in the birth chart indicates a strong emotional connection with others and a good ability to adapt to change.
- Mars: Represents courage, action, and ambition. A strong Mars in the birth chart indicates a strong drive for success and an assertive personality.
- Mercury: Represents communication, intelligence, and adaptability. A strong Mercury in the birth chart indicates good communication skills, mental sharpness, and the ability to learn quickly.
- Jupiter: Represents wisdom, wealth, and luck. A strong Jupiter in the birth chart indicates good fortune, success, and spiritual growth.
- Venus: Represents love, beauty, and relationships. A strong Venus in the birth chart indicates strong relationships, good taste, and a harmonious life.
- Saturn: Represents discipline, structure, and responsibilities. A strong Saturn in the birth chart indicates hard work, perseverance, and the ability to handle difficult situations.
- Rahu: Represents foreign lands, innovation, and rebellion. A strong Rahu in the birth chart indicates a non-conventional and adventurous personality, with the potential for success in unconventional fields.
- Ketu: Represents spirituality, detachment, and enlightenment. A strong Ketu in the birth chart indicates a spiritual bent of mind and a deep connection with the divine.
It’s important to note that the influence of planets is not absolute, as other factors in the birth chart, such as the Ascendant, can also affect a person’s life. The positions and relationships of the planets at the time of birth can also change over time due to the movement of planets in the sky.
Planets in Astrology and how it affect the life on Earth
In astrology, planets are considered to be celestial bodies that have an influence on the events and experiences of human life. There are nine planets in traditional Vedic astrology, each associated with specific qualities and attributes. These are the Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu, and Ketu.
Each planet is associated with different aspects of life, such as self-expression (Sun), emotions (Moon), courage (Mars), intelligence (Mercury), wisdom (Jupiter), love (Venus), discipline (Saturn), mystery (Rahu), and detachment (Ketu). The position of the planets at the time of a person’s birth is used to create a birth chart, which is considered to be a roadmap of their life, providing insights into their personality, strengths, weaknesses, and potential for growth and evolution.
The influence of the planets on the Earth and human life is believed to be related to the movement and alignment of the planets in the sky. According to astrology, the position and alignment of the planets can impact various aspects of life, such as relationships, health, career, and financial prospects. The impact of the planets on a person’s life can be both positive and negative, and astrologers use the birth chart to help individuals understand and make the most of their unique strengths and opportunities.
Major planets discovered in the modern era
In the modern era, the following planets have been discovered beyond our solar system:
- Exoplanets: These are planets that orbit around stars outside our solar system. To date, thousands of exoplanets have been discovered using various techniques such as transit method, radial velocity method, direct imaging method, etc.
- Hot Jupiters: These are gas giant exoplanets that orbit close to their host star. They were among the first exoplanets to be discovered and are named after Jupiter, due to their similar size and composition.
- Super-Earths: These are exoplanets with masses between Earth and Neptune, which are also known as “mini-Neptunes”. They are thought to be composed of a combination of rock, metal, and gas.
- Rogue Planets: These are planets that orbit no star, floating freely in the galaxy. They are difficult to detect and their existence is still a matter of speculation.
- Ice giants: These are exoplanets composed primarily of ice and gas, similar to Uranus and Neptune in our own solar system.
It’s important to note that the discovery of exoplanets is an ongoing process and new exoplanets are being found regularly. Advances in technology and improved observational techniques are allowing astronomers to discover more and more exoplanets, including those with conditions that may be suitable for life.